A fishing licence (licença) is required to fish in Portugal. Children under the age of 14 are exempt if accompanied by a parent who holds a valid fishing licence.
A Sports Fishing Licence (Licença de Pesca Desportiva) is needed for sea fishing, and a Licence for Fishing in Inland Waters (Licença de Pesca Desportiva em Águas Interiores) is required for fishing in rivers and lakes.
There are a number of different types of general licence:
- National Licence (Licença Nacional): allows the holder to fish all over the country where fishing is not restricted, including the offshore islands
- Regional Licence (Licença Regional): allows the holder to fish either in the north, south or centre of the country
- Local Licence (Licença de Conselho): allows fishing only in the rivers and lakes in a given local authority district
Special licences are also available:
- Special Licence for Restricted Areas (Licença para Zona de Pesca Reservada): is required for fishing in protected or reserved zones at certain times of the year (a general licence is required in addition to this special licence)
- Special Licence (Licença Especial): for some visiting anglers without a Portuguese Residency Permit (Cartão de Residencia)
Getting a fishing licence
All fishing permits are issued by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (Ministério da Agricultura, do Desenvolvimento Rural e das Pescas - MADRP); though inland fishing permits are managed by the National Forest Authority, which is a department of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries.
Fishing licences may be purchased through a "Multibanco machine" bank auto teller, the Regional Association of Sports Fishing (Associação Regional Centro de Pesca Desportiva) or through the local and municipal authorities (Câmaras Municipais) where the fishing is to take place.
Portuguese Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (Ministério da Agricultura, do Desenvolvimento Rural e das Pescas - MADRP)
At: Av. João Crisóstomo 28, 1069-040 Lisbon
Tel: 213 124 800 / 213 124 932
Fax: 213 124 988
Regional Association of Sports Fishing (Associação Regional Centro de Pesca Desportiva - ARCPD)
At: Rua Sociedade Farmacêutica Nº 56-2º, 1150-095 Lisbon
Tel: 213 152 593
Foreigners without a Portuguese Bilhete de Identidade (BI) or Número de Contribuinte (NIF) can only buy their licence through a Multibanco machine. Or, if fishing in a stocked and supervised pond, a daily licence can be purchased on site if paid for in cash.
Foreignors without a Portuguese Multibanco card must go in person to a DGRM (Datapescas, da Direcção-Geral de Recursos Naturais, Segurança e Serviços Marítimos) or DRAPA (Direcção Regional de Agricultura e Pescas do Algarve) office.
At: Avenida Brasilia, s/n, Lisbon
Tel: 213 035 843
At: Avenida 16 de Junho, Olhão
Tel: 289 723 724
How to purchase a fishing permit through a Multibanco machine
When purchasing a licence from a Multibanco machine, a passport number and a Número de Indentificação Fiscal (NIF) is required; foreign visitors can bypass this requirement by entering the passport number twice, instead of the NIF.
After inserting a bank/ATM card and entering the personal identification number, select:
- "Pagamentos e Outros Serviços", then
- "Estado e Sector Público", then
- "Licenciamento de Pesca Lúdica", then
- Select the type of licence
- Freshwater: "Pesca Aguas Doces"
- Sea/marsh: "Pesca Aguas Maritimas e Salobras"
- Select the area in which the fishing will take place
- National: "Nacional"
- North (in and north of the Douro river): "Norte"
- Centre (in and between the Douro and Tejo rivers): "Centro"
- South (in and south of the Tejo river): "Sul"
- Enter a passport number
- Enter the passport number again
- Confirm the information
- if correct, select "Confirmar"
- if not correct, select "Cancelar"
A printed receipt will be issued; this can be photocopied but should not be laminated, and must be carried with photo identification when fishing. If additional copies are required, they can be printed from any Multibanco machine within 60 days.