Santa Catarina da Fonte do Bispo
The oldest record from this region, in the records in Tavira (of 10 April 1601) identified the organized settlement of Santa Catarina. The church was erected sometime in the 15th century, and compliment the style of the parochial church of the Misericórida in Tavira, which itself was built at the end of the first half of that century. It is assumed that the parish was established sometime prior to the erection of the church. The oldest ecclesiastical records, the births, baptisms, marriages and deaths recorded from this parish correspond to evident from the Torre do Tombo, and situate the parish around 1632.
Fonte do Bispo was a toponomic name referenced as early as the 14th century. The parish was named from Saint Catherine of Alexandria, who perished in 307 AD, referring to a legend stating that an image of Catherine appeared at the fountain of the bishop (Portuguese: Fonte do Bispo): this gave rise to the regions name.
Created from the ecclesiastical parish in 1835, this local authority's records were lost prior to 1886.
Santa Catarina is a small agglomeration of homes, situated on the edge of the Tavira-Loulé roadway (the Estrada Nacional E.N. 270), approximately 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) from the urban centre of Tavira. The famous Fonte do Bispo is located some distance from this road, along the rocky cliffs.
The small village of Santa Catarina da Fonte do Bispo is set in lovely countryside, surrounded by groves of olives, oranges and almonds.
In Santa Catarina da Fonte do Bispo you will find: Restaurants, Café & Bars, Shops, Banks and a Market - 4th Sunday of the month
Approximate Driving Time to Airports: Faro - 25 minutes, Lisbon - 2 hours 40 minutes and Porto - 5 hours, 10 minutes